The Toyota Tacoma in N Charlotte is one of our most popular vehicles, as it’s the best-selling pickup truck in America! With this kind of title you would have never guessed how long and tough the road has been for it. The Toyota Tacoma wasn’t the first truck to be produced by Toyota; however, the others laid the groundwork for its success! Our Toyota dealership near Charlotte is taking a look back at the history of this new Toyota and how it got to where it is today.
The beginning of the Toyota Tacoma near Charlotte
Like we said, it wasn’t an easy road to achieve the unbelievable success of N Charlotte Toyota Tacoma. In fact, Toyota began building trucks in 1935 with the G1, which was only intended for commercial use. It wasn’t until 1995 that the Toyota Tacoma was officially born. What happened in between all of this time? Let’s find out!
- 1947: Toyota made its first compact pickup truck – the Toyopet Model SB. This pickup truck continued to develop throughout the 50s; however, it never made it to the American shores.
- 1964: The Stout was released and become the first Toyota truck to make it to the American market. It quickly developed a reputation for its reliability, which was passed on to Toyota trucks to come.
- 1969: The Toyota Hi-Lux was introduced, replacing the Stout. This new Toyota developed a more car-like look, increased power and added space throughout its three generations.
- 1976: The Toyota Hi-Lux was re-named the Toyota truck and was completely remodeled to be the first Toyota truck to offer four-wheel drive! The sporty SR5 model was also introduced and showed that this pickup truck was no longer just for work.
- 1995: The Toyota truck was renamed the Toyota Tacoma, giving it an all-American name and a complete overhaul! Toyota raised the bar with a new frame, suspension and engine options.
- 2005: The second generation of this new Toyota was introduced and became the best-selling pickup truck in the world – a title it holds to this day!
- 2009: The Toyota Tacoma began production at the Toyota manufacturing plant in San Antonio Texas, making it a truly American-made truck! This is where it continues to be assembled now.
Of course, these are just some of the milestone in the history of this new Toyota near Charlotte. There were numerous other remodels, additions and sales records along the way!
What’s going on with this new Toyota today?
As the reigning best-selling pickup truck in the U.S. since 2005 and with almost 20 years of history under its belt, we can confidently say this new Toyota deserves the success it has now. It has proven to be a stylish, dependable and tough pickup truck that has stolen the hearts of drivers world-wide. Still in its second generation, we know this pickup truck will continue to get even better with time and we can’t wait to see what’s in its future!
Come check out this pickup truck at our Toyota dealership today! Toyota of N Charlotte is located at 13429 Statesville Rd. in Huntersville. Call our Internet Sales Team at (888) 883-3797 to set up a test drive!