Winter is on its way and you may be thinking about putting your vehicle away for the season. Many drivers like to store their cars for the winter to avoid the harsh weather and driving conditions. Whether you’re getting your vehicle ready for winter or long-term storage for any reason, you should take all the necessary precautions with Charlotte auto service.
Our Toyota Service Center can help you with this preparation when you bring your vehicle in for auto service in Charlotte. We’re also sharing some tips to get your vehicle ready for storage.
Toyota Service Center shares tips for long-term storage
When putting your vehicle away for the winter, it’s not enough to just park it in your garage, as long periods of non-use can result in mechanical problems. If your vehicle is going to be stored for more than a few weeks, you can protect your vehicle from this damage with auto service in Charlotte. We’re sharing a few steps to ensure your vehicle is ready to ride when the winter ends. Here are our tips to protect your engine, fuel system, cooling system, battery and more!
- Engine: To protect your engine, you’re going to want to put some fresh oil into your vehicle and be sure it’s at the necessary levels. Leaving dirty oil sitting in your vehicle for a long period of time can cause corrosion to your engine. This step is easy when you get an oil change in Charlotte.
- Cooling system: To protect your cooling system, you should fill your coolant and add a corrosion inhibitor. Corrosion inhibitor is important because your coolant includes acids that can be damaging to your cooling system.
- Fuel system: We also suggest you fill your gas tank before putting your car away. However, gasoline usually thickens and becomes sticky over time, which is why you should add a gasoline stabilizer to avoid this. It’s also a good idea to use gasoline without ethanol, which can become corrosive over time.
- Battery: If you want your vehicle to start after a long winter, you’re going to want keep the battery charged. This can be done with a battery management system, which will automatically do the work for you!
- Tires: Buying auto tires can get expensive, which is why you should take steps to protect the tires on your vehicle. You should fill your auto tires with the proper air pressure and place your vehicle on jack stands to avoid flat spots from forming over time.
Prepare your vehicle with auto service in Charlotte
Visit our Toyota Service Center in Charlotte today if you need help preparing your vehicle for long-term storage. We can give your vehicle the auto service it needs to stay protected. Our professional technicians can give you even more advice and do the work for you, so you don’t have to!