The nicer weather is bringing a lot of people outside these days! As the weather continues to fluctuate between cool and sunny to chilly and breezy, you can expect more and more cyclists to hit the road! Last week, Toyota of N Charlotte highlighted the dangers of driving near runners and safety tips for both runners and drivers. Today, we’d like to share our tips for driving near cyclists. Many communities are working hard to make their neighborhoods more hospitable to cyclists and walkers, but more people and driving in their cars. Therefore, chance of an accident increases for those walking or on bicycles!
How do I drive my N Charlotte Toyota RAV4 safely near cyclists?
It’s Monday morning and you’re driving your new Toyota RAV4 to work. You reach over to pick up your coffee mug and quickly glance down to make sure the lid is securely fastened. Suddenly, a cyclist appears out of nowhere and you slam on your breaks! SCREEEECH! Your Toyota RAV4 near Charlotte stops short in the middle of the road and the cyclist cuts across. Even though the N Charlotte Toyota RAV4 has an aerodynamic body style that allows you to easily see in front of you, you must be ready to hit the brakes at any moment. Here are some tips to follow when driving your N Charlotte Toyota RAV4 near cyclists!
- Passing a bicycle: Pass at least two feet to the left of the cyclist and do not move back to the right side of the road until safely past the bicycle!
- Keep distance: Following too closely can be incredibly dangerous! Keep a safe following distance so if you need to stop short, you won’t hit the cyclist or cause a collision.
- Crosswalks and intersections: If you’re driving your 2015 Toyota RAV4 near Charlotte up to a stop light at a busy intersection, be sure to come to a safe halt BEFORE the crosswalk!
- Signals: Let cyclists and pedestrians know where you plan on going next by using turn signals!
- Right on red: If you plan on making a right on red, it is your responsibility to come to a full stop and yield to cyclists and pedestrians that have the right-of-way
How do I safely ride my bicycle near traffic?
There are laws in place for drivers, as well as cyclists, when traveling on the roadways. The next time you take your bike out for a ride around the neighborhood keep these tips in mind:
- Safety gear: Always wear a helmet and protective gear when riding your bicycle! This will protect you should you get into a collision or fall off your bike!
- Bicycle lights: Your bicycle must be equipped with proper lighting equipment for riding after sunset until sunrise! Use a lighted lamp in front and a red reflex mirror on the rear!
- Signal turns: Signal your intention to turn by using electrical, mechanical, or manual signals for left or right turns and stopping!
Take your Toyota RAV4 for a ride down to our Toyota dealership near Charlotte! We are open 7 days a week until 10 PM and located at 13429 Statesville Road in Huntersville!