At this day and age, the chances of having a distraction while driving are pretty great. Unfortunately, as easy as distracted driving is, it is equally as easy to get in to an accident because of driving distracted. You may not realize you’re distracted while behind the wheel, but it’s important to be aware and alert at all time while on the road! To keep you and others safe, Toyota of North Charlotte is sharing tips to avoid distracted driving!
First of all, there are typically three types of distracted driving: visual, manual and cognitive. All three of these types involve doing an activity that takes attention away from the act of driving. Visual distractions involve taking your eyes off of the road; manual means taking your hands off of the steering wheel of your N Charlotte Toyota, while cognitive means you’re taking your focus off of driving.
Common driving distractions include:
- Flipping through radio stations
- Eating and drinking
- Applying makeup or touching up hair
- Setting the navigation system
- Talking with others in the car
- Texting and using the phone
Toyota of N Charlotte shares safe driving tips!
There are so many other causes of distracted driving, but those listed above, are the most common and most dangerous. For example, texting while driving is a visual, manual AND cognitive distraction. It requires you look at your phone while holding it and think about what you’re doing and saying. All of these elements involved in texting mean you’ve totally lost focus of driving. The average amount of time your eyes are off of the road while sending a text is 5 seconds. While it doesn’t seem like a lot of time, it only takes 5 seconds to travel the length of a football field if you’re driving at 55 mph. There’s a lot of room and time for something to go wrong in the length of a football field. In 2013, 3,154 people were killed in car accidents that involved distracted drivers.
Avoid the habit of distracted driving with these helpful tips from our friendly Toyota dealership near Charlotte!
- Limit the amount of passengers in your vehicle! The more people in the car, increases the chances of more distractions.
- Put your phone away! Keep you cell phone out of sight and out of arm’s reach while driving to resist the temptation to check it or text.
- Use Bluetooth! Most of our new Toyota cars near Charlotte have Bluetooth wireless connectivity available. Sync your phone so you can make only important phone calls, hands free!
- Pull off to the side of the road! If there’s something you’re looking for in your car or an important text you have to send, pull over and look for it or send it while you’re sitting safely in park.
If you have any questions about how to avoid distractions while driving, call us at (883) 883-3797! Learn more about driving safely by taking a test drive in a N Charlotte Toyota. We’re located at 13429 Statesville Rd., just off of I-77 at exit 23!