Every teen looks forward to the day they can get their license and get behind the wheel! As a parent, this day can be exciting but nerve-wracking. At Scion of North Charlotte, we compiled a list of teen driving safety tips for parents to teach their new drivers!
Teen driving safety is important!
- Always wear your seatbelt! A seatbelt will help protect them from injury if an unavoidable collision were to occur! Reminding your teen to wear their seatbelt is great, but you should also lead by example. Teens learn a lot from their parents without realizing and will be more likely to wear their seatbelts if you do, too. Wearing a seatbelt is a quick and simple way to help protect your teen! Buckle up, it’s the law!
- Teach defensive driving to your teen! We suggest teaching teen driving using our N Charlotte Toyota defensive driving tips and techniques. If your teen is driving defensively, they are more likely to see and avoid potential dangers on the road.
- Avoid distractions in the car! When your teen first starts driving their N Charlotte Scion, establish rules that will minimize distractions for them. For example, consider not allowing friends in the car with them for 6-12 months after they receive their license. Friends mean well, but can seriously distract your teen driver!
- Absolutely NO texting and driving! Unfortunately this generation struggles with the urge to text while driving. Using a cell phone to text while driving is one of the top causes of teen driving accidents. This is extremely dangerous and you should tell your teen to put their cell phones out of sight and out of reach while they are driving. The temptation is easier to avoid if you cannot see the phone or hear the phone.
Scion in N Charlotte wants to keep your teen safe!
Before your teen gets into the driver’s seat of their new N Charlotte Scion car, you want to make sure they know these safe teen driving tips. If they get behind the wheel with no guidance, they begin to develop their own habits. Bad habits are hard to break, so ensure they only develop good ones! We suggest establishing a safe driving contract with your teen. Include all the above safe driving tips we’ve mentioned above, as well as a few others.
- Obey speed limits and road signs! Tell your teen to drive the speed limit, stop at stop signs and follow all the rules of the road.
- Set a curfew! Institute a time you want your teen to be home at night. This helps eliminate potentials dangers and hazards of driving at night.
- Stay clear of aggressive drivers! Remind your teen driver to look out for people who are driving aggressively and to not engage with any threatening drivers.
If you have any questions about teen driving safety tips, call us at (888) 598-0704! Safety is important, so we encourage you to keep your teen safe by putting them in a new N Charlotte Scion or Toyota from our friendly dealership! We’re located just off of I-77 at exit 23!